Impella Education, Patient Management
Impella® Skills Video: Case Start for Impella 2.5® and Impella CP®
This Impella skills video demonstrates how to set up and start a case with the Impella 2.5 or Impella CP. The video reviews the single use components provided with the Impella 2.5 and Impella CP catheter systems, as well as the hospital-provided supplies needed for the procedure.
To begin a case involving Impella 2.5 or Impella CP support:
- Turn on the Automated Impella Controller™ (AIC) by pressing and holding the power switch on the right side of the AIC for 3 seconds.
- Press the START NEW CASE soft button.
- Spike the dextrose purge fluid bag - dextrose 5% in water (D5W) is recommended.
- Insert the purge cassette. Open the purge cassette door by pressing the release button on the left side of the AIC. Insert the purge cassette with the word “ABIOMED” facing out as shown in the diagram inside the door. Slide the purge disc into place as shown on the screen and extend the purge tubing through the gap when you close the door. The system automatically primes the purge cassette once it is in place.
- Open the white connector cable package and place the cable in the sterile field.
- Open the Impella catheter sterile tray when setup is complete and pass the Impella 2.5 or Impella CP into the sterile field.
- Connect the white connector cable to red Impella plug.
- Plug the white connector cable into the blue plug on the front of AIC.
- Snap on the purge clip on the purge sidearm to the connector cable to prevent kinking of the purge sidearm tubing.
- Connect the luers: yellow to yellow and red to red, ensuring connections are finger tight.
- Prime the placement signal lumen by squeezing and holding the sides of the white flush valve for 10 seconds.
The Impella 2.5 or Impella CP is now ready to be inserted. Confirm or edit the purge fluid information displayed on the AIC.