Insertion, Patient Management, Right Heart Failure
Impella® Skills Video: Mattress Suture Technique
This Impella skills video demonstrates the mattress suture technique.
- Place a deep mattress suture at the venotomy site, but DO NOT secure it down. Abiomed recommends using a 0 or 2 “0” silk on a CT-1 needle.
- While monitoring position of the Impella RP® under fluoroscopy, completely remove the 23Fr peel-away introducer from the body while applying manual pressure just above the puncture site to control hemostasis.
- Grasp the two wings of the peel-away introducer and bend back until the valve assembly comes apart. Continue to peel away the introducer until it is completely separated from the catheter shaft.
- Slide the repositioning sheath into the femoral vein so that the yellow hub is at skin level.
- Tie down the mattress suture. Light manual pressure may be needed for hemostasis while securing the mattress suture.
- Maintain manual pressure for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until hemostasis is achieved.
- Attach the anticontamination sleeve to the yellow hub of the repositioning sheath.
- Lock the anchoring ring in place by turning it clockwise.
- Carefully extend the anticontamination sleeve to maximum length and secure the end closest to the blue Impella plug by tightening the anchoring ring.