Patient Management, Purge Management
Changing the Purge Cassette and Fluid Bag
Quick Skills Video for Using the Automated Impella Controller
This quick skills video demonstrates the procedure for changing the purge cassette and fluid bag using the Automated Impella Controller (AIC). See how to interact with the AIC as well as how to perform the steps of changing the purge cassette and the purge fluid bag. The procedure should be completed within 90 seconds and all connections must be wet-to-wet to avoid air entering the system.
This video covers:
- How to select the Change Cassette & Bag procedure on the AIC
- What supplies are needed to complete the procedure (D5W dextrose bag with heparin, new purge cassette)
- How to disconnect the yellow luer from the Impella catheter
- How to open the purge cassette door and remove the old purge cassette
- How to replace the purge fluid bag
- How to insert the new purge cassette
- How to adjust the purge fluid information (purge fluid volume, dextrose concentration, and heparin concentration)
- How to remove and discard the Y-connector and connect the yellow luer of the purge tubing to the yellow luer on the Impella catheter
Note: This video does not replace the Instructions for Use manual.